NW Trek




I have never been to Northwest Trek before so this trip was definitely a really cool experience! Definitely a must-do in Washington and a very unique opportunity. I thought the coolest thing that I saw on my visit was definitely the opossum. Often times at zoos and other wildlife exhibits, the main spectacles are always the bigger animals. However, it is cool to have a highlighted segment on a species that sits lower in the food chain. Although they are not as “spectacular” of a sight, it was refreshing to be introduced to an animal many would often overlook. 





One of the most interesting things I learned was about the livelihood of the Red Wolves and how NW Trek is trying to reestablish their population.  My favorite part of the visit was definitely the trailside visits, I feel like to be able to converse with someone that is informed about the species really establishes a deep connection and understanding with the animal. 



I feel like this was definitely a worthwhile trip, however, I feel like this would have been much more intriguing if it were implemented earlier in the course. It would be a good way for students to become more curious about population ecology. After attending Shannon Point the expectations are definitely at a higher standard and although NW Trek is fun, it does not meet the experience at Shannon Point. It is definitely an experience that is limited to Washington, and I feel like many would appreciate the exposure to something our region provides!


Comments

Popular Posts