NW Trek

Gray Wolf (Canis lupus)
E.H. Baker Cabin window
This was actually my second trip to NW Trek, I went previously when my niece was visiting from Florida and she wanted to go to a zoo. This time I was surprised to learn that the nature trails as well as the bear exhibits were closed. In speaking with one of the employees at the park, they decide to close the nature trails due to an expected low turnout, and I learned that the black bears are hibernating so they closed that end of the park. There currently are no grizzly bears, so that part of the exhibit is under construction.

Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus)
Birds Exhibit
The coolest thing I saw on the visit was the response of the snowy owl to the noise of children running through the exhibit.


I learned that the gray wolf has a winter coat which for the ones at NW Trek is white. I can see how this would be beneficial to them in snowy conditions where they would blend in with the surroundings.

Bighorn Sheep (Ovis canadensis)
Tram Tour - Meadow
I really enjoyed the tram ride, it was very cold outside and the heated tram and a trip through the woods was just what I needed to warm up. The cougar discussion was also quite interesting and I could not help but notice the similar mannerisms that my house cats have to the cougar.

I feel this is a worthwhile trip, but I felt that Shannon Point was definitely more worth the expense.

Rosevelt Elk (Cervus canadensis roosevelti)
Tram Tour - Forest


Black Tailed Deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus)
Tram Tour - Forest
Bison (Bison bison)
Tram Tour -  Forest

Cougar - (Puma concolor)
Cougar Exhibit 

Cougar - (Puma concolor)
Cougar Exhibit 






Comments

  1. Hello,
    What was the response that the owl had to the kids noise? I also really enjoyed the cougar discussion and I think it is interesting how you were able to comapre your house cat to the cougar. I would be interested in knowing what similarities you saw.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts