Blog Post Bonus NW Trek

This is a a female bison with its baby. I saw it during the tram tour. 
This is a raccoon, also known as Procyon lotor, and I found this animal during the self guided tour.

This is a river otter (Lontra canadensis) and I also found this on my self guided tour. 

I have been to Northwest Trek one other time when I was a lot younger around the age of 6. I really enjoyed it and it was pretty much the same thing that I saw years back. The coolest thing that I saw on this visit was probably the elk. I did not see them the other time that I visited Northwest Trek. The most interesting that that I learned was regarding the opossum. There were many facts that we got to learn about this animal, but the one fact that stood out to me the most was the fact that the reason behind the fact that we could see a white layer around its eye, when it is usually all black, is because she was overweight and that is where they store their fat. So, the fat basically gathers behind the eyes and eventually bulges out causing the white outer rim around the eyeball. My favorite part of the trip was probably the tram tour because it was like taking a ride through their own natural habitats out in the open. This is definitely a worthwhile trip, even though it is quite a ways away. It teaches a lot and allows for greater understanding of many of the animals we usually don't see in our everyday lives. 
Opposum (Didelphimorphia)

Comments

Popular Posts