Shannon Point Marine Center

The most interesting part of the trip to Shannon Point Marine Life Center was the little worms we found who built sand cases around themselves to protect them. They looked just like earthworms. It was very alien. I learned about Chitin, big soft limpet creatures. I had never heard of them before and when dead they smell like rotten ham. I have never been to such an ecologically rich beach around here. I forget that we have organisms grown for this climate. I love marine life and I learned about just how many different creatures we have here. My question is could I go out and take samples and catch shrimp again sometime? It was so fun and interesting to look and learn in the field like that day.


-Phylum Echinodermata, a Sea Cucumber 
He was in the outdoor observation pools. I think he eats things off the rocks in shallowest ocean. I Watched him wiggle around a bit but he didn't seem like an active creature.


-I found these ladies on the dock after the boat trip. I believe they are Sea Anemones. They are filter feeders that eat tiny little organisms out of the water and hide inside themselves when the tide goes down. I think these are feeding. They seem to like living close to the surface.

-This is a shield limpet, I found him on the beach clinging to the rocks to keep himself firm against the tide and to keep himself from drying out. He's a shellfish so He's a prey animal that feeds on tiny organisms and other things eat him.

-This Seastar grabbed onto my finger to try and eat it (Probably) and she refused to let go. I ended up getting some of her legs stuck to me and I ripped them off. Her little suction cups. I still feel bad for hurting her she's a pretty creature that eats shellfish and small organisms. She was in the outdoor observation pools.


Comments

  1. I also thought it was super cool to see and learn about how the worms made little cases. At first look, I also thought they were small worms until someone explained it to me. It is really cool that you were able to see some organims on the dock, it goes to show you just rich that area is with marine life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts