Service Learning Post

For my service learning I participated in a Campus Community Farm work party to complete my  two hours. It was led by Lia who can be reached at lia.andrews@email.edcc.edu. This event was put on by the school and the goal of it was to learn gardening skills, about sustainability, nutrition, food issues and a variety of other issues. My duties were to help clip and trip the rainbow and yellow chard in the garden. We wanted to cut off the dead tissue for the plants to focus on growing their healthy leaves.
Photo taken by Lia




This experience affected me and my thoughts on the role of science in society by cementing my beliefs. I think the role of science in society is very important for the community. The work I did helped the farm get healthier and more efficient. Now the plants that I trimmed will produce more food for the community. In a small effect helps feed more people in or area. The garden is full of bee loving plants so helping take care of them will help bees in our area which just like we learned in this course, is very important. Marine Biology is interdisciplinary because it affects so many different areas. Without marine life, life on land wouldn’t be nearly the same. Marine life as many keystone species that affect animals in the ocean and land. Since marine biology affects so many different regions and levels it is extremely important.  My time working at the farm made me have several questions. Here are 4 of them. What is the point of trimming the plants? What kind of plants do bees like? How do you attract beneficial bugs and bees? How long does it take for bees to establish in an area?

Comments

Popular Posts