Blog post #6 Pine Ridge Park

10/27/17
9:30am
Sunny, cold, misty

Pine Ridge park is a well forested area, not quite as dense as a Meadowdale or a Carkeek Park, but there's no mistaking it for any other sort of landscape. The name "pine ridge" is apt, as the area has a very hilly landscape accompanied by many pines.

Unnamed pathogenic fungi
Rather hard fungi found on a dead log. Both growths were amorphous, making them hard to specifically identify. I chose this because it was the most non-traditional fungus I saw on the trip. 
Red Alder
Very long branches that extended horizontally. One assumes this is to catch as much sunlight as possible. I chose this tree because it's fairly common in the area and probably a good one to be able to identify easily. 
Snowberry
Small white berries clumped in groups of twos and threes. Small shrub, not extending past three feet tall. I chose this shrub because I had seen it on a different outing and didn't take the time to identify the first time. 
(sorry for the sheet music paper, my journal and original sketches are still with Gwen) 

Comments

  1. Hi Chet,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. It was interesting that you saws snowberries because in our group we could only find mulberry bushes. I also liked how you described how Pine Ridge was not and Hensley forested as Carkeek or some other park was.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts