Blog Post #4

 I went to Edmonds Marsh on a cold Friday morning. Luckily, it wasn't raining. The marsh home to a large community of flora and fauna. I find it cool that small birds would hide in the sea of cattails and become camouflaged ninjas. I tried observing them but they always disappear. I predict predators would have a difficult time hunting these birds. Compared to the humid wetland in Carkeek Park, Edmonds marsh has less trees cluttering the area. The forested parts are left to the sides of the marsh. Also, there's likely to be litter within the marsh unlike Carkeek since I didn't see a way for people to explore deeper. Sadly, I didn't obverse many fauna on my trip and the ones I did see were out of view.

Restoring the wetlands in Washington is a must. Without them, the migrating birds that fly long distances wouldn't have a safe place to rest their wings. The wetlands support life to in the ecosystem. They are basically the organs of the Puget Sound. I believe that the restoration of the marsh is one that restores it back to normal function first. Reasons for this is because there wasn't a boardwalk that would take me closer to the waters when I wanted to find fish. I've been on a boardwalk going over a extremely large marsh so it is very possible to build one and make it a better tourist attract, but by doing so, it would disturb the wildlife and cause other problems because humans do stuff like that. Letting the marsh have it's free and open space without much disturbance really shows the restoring for it's normal function as a habitat for the animals that live there.

Question: Do birds nest in the sea of cattails?
This is the sea of cattails.

~ esp

Comments

Popular Posts