Blog Post #4 Edmonds Marsh

The major functions of wetlands are feeding area and support of a high number of habitat niches. They provide great volumes of food that attract many animal species. The major functions of estuaries are water filtration and habitat protection.

There are some similarities between Edmonds Marsh and Carkeek Park. Both park is wetland and coastal, and they are also next to the train track. In Edmonds Marsh, I can see a large marsh in front of me, it seems like quiet and a beautiful scenery. However, Carkeek Park is a forest. I lost direction in Carkeek Park last time, I forgot where did I park my car, and a lot of tall and enormous trees and plants near me. I spent some time and opened google map to find my car. It is too hard to see and find a far place and an exit when a lot of tall and enormous trees around you. It is very easily to lose direction in Carkeek Park. That is the different between Carkeek Park and Edmonds Marsh. 

Wetland restoration in Western Washington is very important because wetland performs an important role in ecosystems. Wetlands improve water quality by trapping sediments, and reduce the risk of flooding by slowing down the movement of flood waters. Wetlands also give the best environment to support of a high number of habitat niches. Based on my observations, I think the second approach focusing on the restoring the wetland back to its normal function first is being used for restoration efforts at Edmonds Marsh. After the wetland back to its normal function, people can improve and restore the wetland more better. The question that I want to ask is: Does there have any relationship between Edmonds Marsh and the sea in Edmonds? 





Comments

  1. He Ka Ki! I think that there is plenty of relationship between Edmonds Marsh and the ocean waters since the marsh is a saltwater marsh. I would say that its a special connection as I give a light chuckle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts