Edmonds Marsh

Edmonds beach is one of my favorite places to go to. But I have never been to Edmonds Marsh, so it was cool to find a new hidden spot! Wetlands help flooding, increase the quality of the water, provide good habitats, and are perfect for biodiversity. In comparison to Carkeek Park, Edmonds Marsh was more closed off and private from roaming humans. You couldn't really step into the marsh because it was blocked off. At Carkeek, there were nature trails all over. Carkeek had a running stream going through it, but Edmonds Marsh looked like it had stagnant bodies of water. Edmonds Marsh did not have tall trees, except those surrounding it. Edmonds Marsh had tall grass and plants.
At Edmonds Marsh, I saw a group of birds sitting in the middle of the grass. The birds were large. They had big wings, white and long necks, long beaks, and blue-gray colored feathers. It was hard to see exactly what species they were because they were distant in addition to the rain and wind flying in my eyes. They made no sounds, like geese do. I read one of the signs about Edmonds Marsh at the entrance, and came to the conclusion that the birds could be Great Blue Herons. Great Blue Herons depend on wetlands for their food sources and control insect populations.
Wetland restoration is very important because it helps clear the pollution in a given area, supplies food sources, and provides a home to organisms. I think that they are trying to use the seconds approach with Edmonds Marsh because there are still animals who pass through, and there was a sign at the entrance about restoration of Edmonds Marsh- it did not mention anything about removal of species.
It was shocking to learn that Edmonds Marsh hosts over 200 species of birds. It really showed me that one habitat can provide for a wide selection of organisms.
After visiting Edmonds Marsh, my question is... Do the loud trains passing by affect the behaviors/actions of the birds?
I attached a video of the birds, instead of a picture. It is easier to observe.


Comments

  1. I've lived in Edmonds most of my life, and didn't know about Edmonds Marsh until this last summer! It so perfectly tucked away, I think most people don't even know its there! I was surprised be the amount of birds that pass through there too, I never thought Edmonds had something so essential to bird migration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts