Edmonds Marsh Blog Post

IMG_1805.jpg
IMG_1810.jpg


Wetlands and estuaries have some major roles and functions in the environment. Some of the functions of wetland and estuaries are they act as a barrier or buffer zone. They protect the shore from excess water or extra erosion. They also act as a sort of natural filter for the water. One other thing is they act as a home to many organisms.


The edmonds marsh was rather different to me compared to the swamp at Carkeek Park. I noticed that the water at both places was probably rather shallow and didn’t look very deep. One thing I noted was there were way more cattails at the Edmonds marsh over Carkeek Park. Maybe because there was more sunshine at Edmonds Marsh than the area I looked at at the park.


At the edmonds marsh I only saw a couple different organisms. I saw about 5 great blue herons. They feed on a variety of critters and are at home in Edmonds marsh year round. I also saw an ocean of cattails. Cattails provide food for many organisms and can serve as a home or shelter to birds or other organisms.


Wetland restoration is important because wetlands do so much for the environment. They provide habitat for wildlife, naturally filtering water, helps reduce erosion, and helping keep floods under control. Based on my observations, I believe that they are trying to restore the wetlands back to their normal function first. It didn’t look like there was a huge problem about invasive species.


What I learned today did change my impression on what I had on marshes in the Pacific Northwest in the fall/winter months. I thought that there would be no life and there wouldn’t be much there except maybe grass and water. I learned that there are many bird and other animal species that live there and contribute to the ecosystem.

The night before I went to the marsh it rained a lot, I wondered where does all the extra water go when it goes to the marsh?

Comments

Popular Posts