Ecological Survey Of a Local Population

I went to Abby view memorial park, a place near my home attached to a cemetery.
I surveyed this area shown above. It was an open clearing that appeared to have been logged in past years. There were large mounds of soft debris, rotten wood, decomposing leaves. Some of these hills appeared to have been man-made. The edges of the clearing were surrounded by tall blackberry bushes. There is tall grasses that just finished with seed, and a fallen juvenile cedar tree. The was a couple seepages, forming some very soft puddles that I stepped in.
I picked juvenile rubus, (blackberries) as my organism for the assignment. As there is an abundance of them, and I like eating blackberries.  My transact I picked had good variety of the site that represented it all well I think. My average organisms per square 2.5 rubus. The problem I had was that ankle height blackberries are very scratchy to my ankles. And I got my feet wet from the saturated ground. I found crossing over the stump to be a bit of a struggle. This is one population of blackberries. The bushes are smaller beginnings of the bushes that are completely impenetrable. Like most blackberries. Some parts of the ground had wood underneath the earth, those areas didn't have blackberries as much there. But as it decomposes I'm sure that will change. I made my survey rectangle of cardboard and it got damp and wobbly very quickly. I found it really fun, and I rarely pay that close of attention to the ground. I'm more focused of the edges of scenery. It would be good on a larger scale find maybe by square miles to find endangered plants and animals populations.

Comments

  1. What kind of data did you get across your transect. Make sure to post it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts