Carkeek

Pictured: Hornet nest, approximately the size of a football

This is my third time going to Carkeek park. The other visits were recreational so it was interesting being a more active observer of the environment around me. Even though I was on a trail I had been on before, this active observation led me to find various bugs, a variety of trees I hadn't noticed before, and an active hornet nest! (At least I assume it's a hornet's nest after doing a little bit of research on different nest types) I'd say this was the highlight of the trip as it allowed me to see small parts of the ecology of Carkeek interact with others! Although this did not change my perspective of Western Washington ecology, it did reinforce the idea that Carkeek supports a variety of life.

My questions are:
Are the wasps and the tree they decided to nest on in a symbiotic relationship?
Is there much/ any impact on the environment caused by the trails and hikers? How does one decide how to construct these trails as to not impact it?

Comments

  1. HOLY SHIRT!!!!! That is a huge forking hornets nest. I feel like the tree provides a structure for the hornets to build up on for their nest but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure to try to take a different photo than Sara just for the sake of sharing different things - but it is a super cool nest!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts