Carkeek


Have you been to Carkeek Park before?

I have been to Carkeek previously. I remember that the indigenous peoples history is a big part of the park, but I did not remember the salmon slides. On my other adventures there my time has been spent walking trails and on the beach area.

What was the most interesting thing you saw or learned on this trip to Carkeek Park?


The conversation with the super awesome speaker who was there to educate the children seemed like a rare opportunity, he talked about the traditions of gift giving and ceremony from his tribe and how his history has been nearly lost. I regret that I don't remember the name of his tribe.

Did anything you learned about today change your perspective about organisms/ecology or the Pacific Northwest? 

I had never really in depth thought about the evolution of plants. I always have about animals, but hearing about ferns and moss coming first and adapting into larger creatures was interesting. It made me think about how the damp climate around here maintains some of the earlier forms of vegetation better then other places. So we had people and plant history at Carkeek to learn about.

Write down at least 2 ecology-related questions that came up on your visit to Carkeek Park.

People are part of ecology just as much as other organisms aren't they? We study animals, plants, places, environment, geography and that is all ecology.
What will happen to us and the rest of the local ecosystem with the salmon population depleting so rapidly?

Comments

  1. Those are some fairly good questions there. I'm pretty sure a lot of things would essentially cave in on itself if the salmon population goes. But I feel like a lot more would happen if that were to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you like the First Nations presentation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts