Carkeek Park

9/29/2017 12:31pm
Picture taken along trail in Carkeek Park
This was my first trip to Carkeek Park, and I thought it was really nice and a place that I will visit again soon. I took several pictures while I was there, and the one to the right I thought was interesting how the logs and natural debris slows the current of the streams which helps with the salmon spawning. I found it very intriguing that salmon will possibly return to this creek as I understand it is a new project to attempt to revitalize the salmon population here in the Pacific Northwest.

I really do enjoy the hands on learning out in our nature parks, and being so close to the water definitely has its advantages for also studying tide pools when the tide is out.

One of the most interesting things about this field trip was meeting Ronn Long Claw Wilson and learning about the history of his people.

I found myself walking the trails after class looking much closer at the plants to see if I could better see the differences between species. On previous hikes, I was more focused on getting to the top for the views.

In a couple of my pictures, I noticed some pollution on the leaves of some of the trees and bushes. I wonder what the pollution is and how bad is the overall impact on the ecology of the park?

I didn't see a lot of bugs personally, and I wonder what is the most prevalent bug species in the park?


Comments

  1. This was also my fisrt trip to Carkeek and similar to you, I also plan on visiting again in the future. I also really enjoyed learning hands on and I thought it was very helpful. Lastly, I think it would be interesting to know what the answer to your second question is because it is something I am curious about too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found it really interesting and was glad to be able to hear about the history and their ways of life. I also explored a bit around the park after class too and it was different to see myself actually pay attention and look at all the plants instead of just walking around aimlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear that people enjoyed Ronn's presentation. It is so important to talk about First Nations people when we talk about the PNW!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts