Blog Post 4: Edmonds Marsh

 Wetlands function as filters for run off, and as retaining pools for excess run off. Estuaries function as acclimation zones for organisms to adjust from sweet to salt water. Both are vibrantly alive with life, from the tiniest microorganisms to massive blue Herons. 
 The main differences between Edmonds Marsh and Carkeek Park Wetland that I observed, was the lack of forest. The Edmonds Marsh has wide open land with tall reed type grass and still water. Carkeek park seemed more like bogland with a stream running through it in the forest. The Edmonds Marsh reminds me more of those massive everglade estuaries you would see down in the southeast. 
The organism I chose, is what I believe to be (Solanum dulcamara), otherwise known as bittersweet or climbing nightshade. It comes from Europe, West Africa and Western Asia and is horribly invasive in our area. 
 This plant is invasive to this region, and probably takes nutrients and space away from the native plants of the area. However, this plant has some amazing properties, from inhibiting growth of E. coli to helping people with chronic eczema. 
 This was something I was curious about, and was wondering if anyone knows what it is? I believe this is a Pacific Willow (Salix lucida). It almost looks like a type of fungus or growth on the leaf. Most of them didn't have this, so that leads me to believe it is not a part of the tree. Any ideas?                             
                                        

Based on the presence of Bittersweet and Himalayan Blackberry, I think Edmonds Marsh is the second type of restoration that allows invasive plants. But I could be wrong, and these invasive species could be on their way out soon. I was surprised at how critical of a rest stop the Marsh is to migrating birds, I would have thought that they had many many places for that.
I'm curious as to how the chemical run off from the train tracks affects the Marsh. Could these chemicals be found in the apex predators of the area (Herons, Hawks, Eagles), could they also be moving their way up the food chain? 



Comments

  1. Hi Maja,
    I liked how you observed the fact that Carkeek had more of a forest environment, whilst the marsh was more like an open field. I also thought it was quite interesting how the organism you found, climbing nightshade helped with inhibiting E. coli as well as with eczema.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts