Blog Post #3


For this ecological survey of a local population, I have visited  two areas, that are Scriber Lake and Gold Park. In Scriber Lake, I found an organism which is in the wetland, next to the lake, and have some dead bushes and mosses around it. However, It is hard to do a simple transect sample on the weltland, and I can't identify the organisms which I'm interested. Finally, I gave up in Scriber Lake, so I went to Gold Park which is close to Edmonds Community College. I saw most of the organism dies, and some twigs and dead plants on the ground. I chose Orange Honeysuckle (Lonicera Ciliosa) to record in Gold Park. The average number of my organism in my quadrats across the site is 1.08. In the beginning of the transect, there are around 5 stems in my quadrats. When it goes through to the end, there was no more Orange Honeysuckle. I think the transect doesn't  seems representative of the site because the terrain has a little bit different. The challenge to transect sampling at my site are barriers of  a tree and uneven terrain. There are different populations, but I think they are not connected because some of the areas don't have other populations. I guess that mean they are not connected. There are some affect of terrain and other organisms on the distribution of my organism across the site like dead tree, undulating terrain, trees, some twigs. After this surveys, I think Orange Honeysuckle is threatened species in Gold Park. Because I saw some dead wood, different species of dead plants and trash in the park, it may cause the organism endangered in Gold Park.  I think surveys like this can be used to assess species distribution and populations, especially for threatened and endangered species.




Quadrat                        Organism
#1                                  5
#2                                  3
#3                                  2
#4                                  3
#5                                  0
#6                                  0
#7                                  0
#8                                  0
#9                                  0
#10                                0
#11                                0
#12                                0

Comments

  1. I also did my ecological survey at Gold Park, so I understand some of the challenges you faced. Ferns and other shrubs are hard to sample, especially when they grow as wildly as they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Kaki! Not sure if that is orange honeysuckle. How did you ID it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts