Blog Post 2

I have been to Carkeek Park before, but failed to appreciate the nature trails lined along the beach. I was able to notice the river and the life that led to the puget sound. One of the most interesting things I learned was that plants release gases when being attacked. I thought it was very humorous that the familiar and comforting smell of cut grass was actually the gaseous alerts being released by the grass. I feel like my understanding of how dependent the environment is on wetlands has expanded after this trip. One question is are there environments that are sustainable without wetlands? Another question is are there certain insects that actually support the growth of plants rather than intervening with them?

Comments

  1. Hi Kevin, I really like your photo. One, I am in the picture but also you captured the colors of this time of year really well. I am not sure which insects this would be for but I notice in our environment and even neighborhoods certain trees once they have fallen must not be removed. Maybe this is to support an insect specie? Wish I could be of more help with your questions. Now when the lawn is fresh mowed or someone is mowing I will always remember the screaming little fresh cut blades too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pollinators support plants of course... but there are some other examples of insects that have mutualistic relationships with plants... make sure to ask the next time we are out and about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts