Blog Post #2

Populus Canescens
I have been to Carkeek park before; last I was there was about this time last year so it was pretty similar though a little warmer so there was more bugs and wildlife activity. I knew that the local salmon populations are extremely at risk but didn’t know that the southern populations were expected to be gone within the next 20 years due to rising water temperatures. Learning about just how soon we could totally lose our local salmon runs has changed my perspective and now makes me worry about what will happen to the rest of the western Washington environment without them.


  • How does the train track affect the drainage of the wetlands into the ocean and the migration of salmon?
  • Can we lessen the effects of climate change enough that the salmon in the area will be able to maintain their current numbers in future years?



Comments

  1. Colleen, I am very concerned as well about our salmon population and hopeful that what they did in Carkeek park will have a positive impact on the current standings. It does seem like much more may need to be done to help bring the salmon back. I wonder how I could be more involved to help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen, I never thought about the water temperature aspect and how it will impact the salmon population. I wonder if there will be a micro-evolution allowing the salmon to adapt to warmer waters if our efforts to help them by improving the streams back to support their needs work as well as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had heard about how temperature severely effected salmon but I never really put into consideration the run off aspect. Like with your question on the train tracks. I feel like that could be a good project idea about how run off affects salmon and if it causes other long term changes for the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The future of salmon looks pretty bleak unless we make some changes in the PNW. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts