Blog #4 Edmonds Marsh

Through this trip to the marsh I came to realize that wetlands and estuaries are important to ecosystems because they are an important rest stop for birds that are migrating and is home to many animals. I noticed that the bodies of water were slightly different at both locations. The Edmonds marsh wetlands had more water in them then the ones located at Carkeek Park. I also noticed that there weren’t as many birds at Carkeek park (probably because I went when it was pouring). However both environments shared some similar plant life surrounding it. The plant that I decided to observe was the bitter cherry. I was a plant that I saw throughout my trip to the marsh. The plant appears as a bush or a small tree depending on how old it is, and it has little clumps of red berries growing at the ends. After researching this plant more I can to find out that they are a common food source for birds but the seeds in these berries contain cyanide and are poisonous to other animals. We have to look after and restore our wetlands because they play a huge role in our ecosystems. Providing homes for animals and a resting and feeding place for birds. Before I went and visited the mash I never knew how much life thrived there, I thought it was just mud water and cattails. What did draw concern to me is that the mar is located right in the middle of multiple roadways. My question is with all the pollution through car exhausted, how much danger is the marsh in? And if there is anything we can do to keep it healthy with all the damaging activity occurring around it?







Comments

  1. Hi Shannon,
    I also noticed these berries. they seemed to be located all around the marsh as well as many other berries. I thought it was interesting how for the birds the berries are a food source but the seeds that are in these berries are poisonous to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon, I really like your pictures of the Edmonds Marsh. I think they help illustrate the size and show how much of the grasses and mud-water the marsh contains. I have learned more about what a vital role our wetlands play in our ecosystem and hope we are successful in bringing this marsh closer to its original state.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts